Monday, May 29, 2017

An Explanation Of Asexuality

As I have mentioned before at various points on my blog, I am an asexual.  Several people I have met have deduced this about me through observation, but most people react with surprise or confusion when they learn this.  I have decided to define and explain what it means to have this condition and address some things that Christians, whether they be genuine or pretenders, have said about the matter.

Asexuals have little to no sexual desire.  I say "little" only in comparison to non-asexuals, as I don't even know what it means for something to be little in and of itself, only by comparison to something else.  Asexual people still have both genitals and the physical capability to have sex, but they simply lack the natural desire to do so.  Their bodies can become sexually aroused although their minds do not necessarily desire sexual expression of any form.  Despite this, they can still have a "normal" or strong desire for romantic relationships.  It seems to me that at best only a very small amount of the people I have met or will encounter are asexual.

But asexuality's uncommon nature does not mean it is sinful.  Nothing in the Bible says that asexuality is sinful or lessens a person's value or ontological status.  As it is, not everyone needs or is obligated to get married or have sex to begin with.  And never once does the Bible teach that sexual activity is required to experience the most satisfying or best life possible!  I have found some asinine comments about asexuality made by self-proclaimed Christians on certain sites quite amusing and irritating, but no one's preferences, emotions, or traditions affect the truth.

Lunatic Christian arguments (I mean arguments used by ignorant and fallacious Christians, not arguments originating from legitimate Christian theology or philosophy!!) against asexuality seem to usually propose either that 1) asexuality is wrong if one is married or 2) asexuality is wrong because it is a perversion of natural sexuality alongside homosexuality.  Regarding 1), asexuality itself is never itself sinful, but married individuals are obligated to have sexual relations to some degree as mutually desired by both spouses (1 Corinthians 7:3-5).  Thus asexuals should not get married unless their spouses either agree to have no sex or unless they are willing to satisfy their partners' sexual desires to at least some degree.  As for 2), the Bible condemns homosexual activity but not being born with what we call a homosexual orientation (I am not claiming that homosexuality is chosen or innate, but am distinguishing between orientation and actions).  However, neither asexual "orientation" or the resulting lack of sexual desire and actIvity is condemned in any way.

Although reason and experience easily prove that not everything in life has a sexual dimension--though my damn American culture sure likes to pretend otherwise sometimes--asexuality only reinforces that awareness.  Rationalism proves that most things are not sexual even if some people view them as such, but asexuality leads to the natural perception that most things are not sexual, a perception that logic verifies.  I am totally content with my condition.  I fully understand that there is more to life than sexuality and that a person is much more than his or her sexuality, and I am very grateful for this knowledge.  The Bible does not condemn this condition and ultimately teaches that neither humans nor human life are solely defined by sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment