Monday, February 25, 2019

Does God Have A Plan For Every Individual's Life?

Every time that someone thinks God has a will tailored to the life of each individual, they must ask themselves endless questions if they consistently live out their suspicions.  Is it God's will that a person marry someone in particular?  Does God wish for a person to take one job over another?  Although these are popular inquiries, they are symptoms of a form of mysticism that has infiltrated the evangelical church, since people who take them seriously are forced to look to a subjective sense of peace, contentment, or God's presence to make certain decisions.

Nothing in the Bible suggests that God has a particular set of wishes for the lives of each individual beyond his desire for them to fulfill their moral obligations, which all humans share, and to enjoy a restored relationship with him.  In fact, pursuing some unverifiable, elusive, extra-Biblical "divine plan" for how one should choose between two legitimate marriage options or two equivalent job offers is likely to produce anxiety instead of peace.  Despite the inherent epistemological and Biblical errors in such pursuits, many Christians can waste significant amounts of time by treating subjective feelings as if they reflect some personal plan that God has for them as individuals.

Suppose that a hypothetical woman named Christine is offered three jobs all at once, none of which involve sinful activities.  The question she should ask herself is not whether God wills for her to accept one of the options in particular, but which one is best for her lifestyle, circumstances, and goals.  Christine has no obligation to work for one firm or another.  Thus, she is free to choose whichever one she pleases.  To say otherwise is to contradict the Bible itself.  How can I know that this is the case within the Christian worldview?

If God has a plan for how I should conduct the details of my individual life (beyond obeying the commands of the Bible), then I should adhere to it; I would be sinning if I did not.  However, moral matters can only be known by divine revelation (Romans 7:7), and the Bible says not to add to its commands (Deuteronomy 4:2).  The Bible says nothing about God having a specific plan for my individual decisions regarding marriage, jobs, or hobbies, given that I am not violating any of God's actual commands.  As long as I do not sin, I am permitted to do whatever I desire.

If I remain single, I have not deviated from a divine plan for my life.  If I get married, I have not deviated from a divine plan for my life.  If I choose to marry one intellectually and spiritually compatible woman instead of another, I have not deviated from a divine plan for my life.  The Bible contains all of the instructions that are needed for righteous living, and to posit that there is an esoteric set of personal actions which I must carry out, lest I forsake some special will of God for my lifestyle, goes beyond what the Bible teaches.

5 comments:

  1. I think this was good for me to read, thank you! I've spent way too much of my life worrying about my small decisions upsetting God or not fitting with his plan. But you're right! As long as it's not against the Bible and you understand God is over you than you're pretty set in life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful! I never dealt with some of the possible side effects of thinking God has a "plan" for every major part of my life, but I can imagine how frustrating and terrifying it could be to actually think that God will be displeased if you don't marry one specific person, take one specific job, and so on. That idea is great way to stir up pointless spiritual anxieties.

      Delete
    2. I unfortunately have gone through that a lot:( It's something I've had to get over time and time again. It's not fun

      Delete
    3. Thankfully, Biblical Christianity does not impose needless burdens. I hope you're able to enjoy the pleasure of knowing you are free to choose whatever life you wish as long as you simply don't violate Biblical commands!

      Delete