Tuesday, March 13, 2018

More Examples Of Mind-Body Interaction

In a recent post I offered a handful of examples of mind-body interaction [1].  The ones I used were sad thoughts making tears appear, fear triggering a sweat and a rapid heartbeat, and sexual attraction causing physiological arousal of the genitals.  All three of these examples have to do with mental states affecting the body, whereas below I have examples of the inverse occurring, examples where the body affects the mind/consciousness.

I have three such examples here to compliment the other three examples.


Drinking an energy drink or coffee and experiencing mental clarity or alertness.

Just yesterday in the early evening, to fuel a Game of Thrones watching session that I didn't even end up having, I had a caffeinated drink.  Because of the drink, though, I did not go to sleep until later than I otherwise would have.  This is an example of something in my body--the caffeine in the drink--bringing about a certain mental state, making it so that my mind could not retreat into itself for sleep for a time.  Of course, getting high on drugs produces altered states of consciousness as well.  There are a variety of drinks/substances that can have an impact on consciousness.


Taking a pain medication reducing or removing pain from the mind's awareness.

This is another obvious example of something put into the physical body affecting mental states, for, although pain can originate in a part of the body, like an arm that is pierced by shrapnel, pain can only be experienced by a consciousness.  When someone takes a pain pill, he or she wants to silence pain felt in the mind by giving the body a certain tablet.


Holding a hand in a fire causing strong sensations of burning pain.

If I were to hold my hand in a fire, I would be subjecting myself to excruciating pain, experiencing an agony felt by my mind.  Yes, my body would be involved, as I would be holding part of it inside a fire, but I would feel burning sensations because of my mind.  Thus both would be involved in the feeling of my hand while it is on fire, meaning that my mind and body would be interacting.


[1].  https://thechristianrationalist.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-mind-body-problem.html

No comments:

Post a Comment