Thursday, March 8, 2018

An Asinine Belief About Job Security

Sometimes I am so amused by a stupid comment by another person that I decide to write a blog post deconstructing the comment.  This week, the professor of one of my classes denied outright that job security exists in any form, without taking into account the way different variables might influence such an issue.  And so I felt like clarifying the truth of the matter.

Now, I want to be clear that I can never be absolutely sure that any job of mine will not be snatched away from me without warning.  It is certainly not valid to think that one's job will be perfectly secure regardless of how established one is in a certain business.  This is not to say that all jobs are equally insecure, though--that is a totally different claim, and one that the professor seemed to be suggesting.

No job has perfect security, but there are variables that can make one job more or less secure than another.  Someone's work seniority, previous experience, and miscellaneous skills (human, conceptual, etc [1]) will all affect how likely it is that someone remains with a firm.  Other factors include the industry one is working in and the specific company within the industry one is working in.  So while one might certainly be unexpectedly or even unfairly released from a job, it is not as if there is absolutely nothing at all that one can do to decrease the probability of such a thing occurring.

Is any job absolutely secure?  Of course not!  But that does not mean that all jobs are equally insecure.  And it doesn't take much reflection to realize this.  I wish I could honestly say that I am still surprised to hear bullshit like "job security doesn't exist" from professors at HBU . . . but, unfortunately, it can be difficult to be both a rational and sane person on that campus.


[1].  Although I am referring to phrases from the three-skill approach to leadership, non-leaders can, of course, have these skills too:
https://thechristianrationalist.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-three-skill-approach.html

No comments:

Post a Comment