Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Resilience Of Memory

What would happen if I were to wake up with all of the contents of my memory erased?  What would such a hypothetical scenario mean for my epistemology?  I write this answer in order to affirm that even if our memories are "rebooted" human knowledge would not disappear forever.

Suppose that tonight while I am sleeping God, an alien, or a malevolent demon removes or destroys the entirety of my memories--all memories of events in my life, all facts about various disciplines I have memorized, and even all stored knowledge of my own personality.  What then?  I would awake and not even know that my memories had disappeared, because I would be unable to remember what the previous night was like and thus would not and could not tell that I had possessed far more knowledge only less than 24 hours before.

But I would still be aware of my consciousness, immediate perceptions, and axiomatic truths upon waking.  It would not be true that I would have no knowledge of anything at all did this happen.  And this foundation would support rediscovery.  Reality itself would not have changed, only my awareness of it.  Truth would still be truth despite my empty memory.  Thus even if the process required far longer than the first time, I could reattain a great deal of my previous knowledge.  Of course, my memories of past events in my life would not be replaced unless the being that took or destroyed them decided to return them to my mind, but I would be capable of discovering logic (beyond the axioms and necessary truths that are immediately grasped, I mean), mathematics, philosophy, Christian theology, and science all over again.  A memory purge would not mean the end of either reality or my ability to have and obtain knowledge; it would just set back my knowledge, but not erase its existence entirely or render me unable to relearn.

As I have elaborated upon before, to deny human knowledge through attacking human memory is to embark on a fallacious quest.  Just as with other facts about memory, it is not difficult to realize that even the total emptying of my memory would not erase all of my knowledge, change reality itself, or obstruct me from reeducation.  The resilience of memory would allow it to bounce back and reobtain extensive knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment