Monday, May 15, 2017

Gaming And The Intellect

All photos used in this post were taken by myself using Nintendo Miiverse and the screenshot function of the PS Vita and iPhone.

As a gamer since childhood--though admittedly I returned from an approximately four-year gaming hiatus only last summer--I have had others tell me, usually adults who like to assume the truth of their own propositions, that video games cause or amplify many problems.  Well, it turns out that they used a lot of fallacies in their arguments.  Appeals to popularity, non sequiturs, fallacies of composition, and so forth.  One semi-popular claim that specifically stupefies me is the stereotypical assertion that video games rot the intellect and foster mental laziness.

I usually find myself quite amused that I, someone who rather loved video games during my childhood and once played them extensively, have ended up as someone far more intellectually-oriented than most people.  If anyone doubts the latter part of the previous sentence, may he or she examine my blog and find that I am indeed quite intellectually active and strong far beyond the threshold I notice many people gravitate towards.  Now that the summer has come yet again, I will have more time to play old classics and new adventures, meaning I will also likely have to critique this BS objection to the most inventive style of entertainment produced by humanity thus far.  And, just as I will enjoy refuting stupidity regarding other issues this summer, I will be quite willing to refute these mistaken arguments.


From top to bottom: The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS),
Super Metroid (3DS eShop virtual console), and Lara Croft GO
(PS Vita)--merely three games I have that feature rather
sophisticated puzzles or exploration.  I find that people who
call gaming and gamers dumb usually can't beat or understand
games like these!

I have defended the artistic legitimacy of gaming near the beginning of my blog's existence [1] and have also discussed why it is important for Christians to be actively aware of entertainment [2], but I wanted to address once again the pathetic belief that gaming diseases the mind, preventing intellectual growth or maturity.  People who make this claim are either ignorant or downright illogical.  I would personally be quite amused to watch these fallacious objectors complete the infamous Water Temple in Ocarina of Time, pass Hera's Garden in God of War III, find all the Chozo artifacts without help in Metroid Prime, discover all the bonus health extensions in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, or progress even halfway through some of gaming's finest examples of creativity and challenge throughout the past two decades.

Gaming is more immersive, creative, and intellectually (and even physically) demanding than any other medium of entertainment, yet it is the one that receives the most misrepresentation and criticism on false grounds.  I, for one, challenge anyone who thinks gaming and gamers are dumb to complete games in series like Zelda or Metroid.  I would likely perceive the results to be hilarious.

Video games do not represent some blight on the intellect but an ally to it.  Sure, some games do not encourage deep reflection, caution, or thought--but some books and movies also fail here and yet people largely understand that this does not at all indicate that books and movies as mediums are devoid of intellectual engagement and stimulation.  Rightly so, for to do otherwise would be to commit the fallacy of composition and say of the whole what is only true of a part.  For some reason society treats gaming, the one entertainment medium that demands far heightened and realistic senses of immersion and input, as if it serves as a cancer that will afflict the mind and diminish its capabilities.  Ironically, the inverse can be true, as many games promote quick reflexes, problem solving skills, pattern recognition, exploration, social teamwork, strong memory, and overall mental coordination.

Hell, even a game like Call of Duty: Zombies (an IOS port of the zombie
mode from Call of Duty: World at War) requires strategy, quick thinking
and responses, and (with multiplayer) teamwork and coordination!
The mind is more active when playing video games than it is during
many other activities.

People who claim gaming results in or epitomizes dumbness, laziness, sluggishness, and ignorance probably know little to nothing about gaming or reason.  After years of noticing subtle and overt appearances of this belief, it feels good to explain how utterly irrational it is.  As always, if you seek truth, pay no attention to myths and fallacies but challenge every assertion with the light of logic.  I wish my fellow Christian gamers a fun summer and great success in their gaming pursuits!


[1].  http://thechristianrationalist.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-artistic-legitimacy-of-gaming.html

[2].  http://thechristianrationalist.blogspot.com/2017/03/christianity-and-entertainment.html

No comments:

Post a Comment