Sunday, August 28, 2016

Anticipating The Quran

Tomorrow, my third semester and second year of college both commence.  And, amusingly, one thing I am most looking forward to is an instance of mandatory reading for a discussion class.  I know, unusual, right?  The assignment in question is reading select chapters of the Quran.

Already I've had some Christians widen their eyes in shock or suspicion as they learn what I will soon read at a Christian university.  Many Christians have never read the Quran and are likely to misrepresent it, but I have glimpsed enough to realize that the book itself most certainly cannot be reconciled to Old Testament revelation as Islamic teachings attempt to do.  Thus far, I have examined the Quran enough to know that it contradicts the Bible on significant moral, punitive, and theological issues.  For instance, I know that the Quran itself condones immoral behavior like excessive corporal punishment (Surah 24:2), wife-beating (in a limited sense--Surah 4:34), and crucifixion (Surah 5:33).  I know that Quranic theology endorses the idea that righteous deeds must outweigh or surpass negative deeds in order for someone to obtain salvation.  The Quran is flawed, contains evil commands, and cannot boast philosophical support like Christianity can.  So I clearly oppose Islam, though I have grown tired of correcting misguided conservative Christian arguments targeting all people who profess to be Muslims.

While I do not yet know the other contents of the Quran I will read by the end of the week, I want to remind Christians that they cannot escape the necessity of and the obligation to use reason and that information alone equips the rationalist to make correct judgments and statements.  It is not sinful to read the literature of a false religion, nor is it wrong to approve of and even applaud the elements of truth it may include.  Though many Christians view seriously studying religious texts other than the Bible as dangerous, failing to become aware of other religions actually carries the true danger.  Christians would find their intellects and abilities to reach Muslims greatly stimulated and enhanced by their familiarity with the doctrines and specific verses of Islam itself, not straw man distortions and unverified rumors promoted by mindless conservatives.  Soon I will know for sure what unread portions of the Quran (unread by myself) teach and I await the use of this knowledge to further my intellectual and spiritual growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment