Friday, March 1, 2019

Commitment Is Not Belief

Commitment and belief are objectively distinct stances towards certain ideas, yet they are often incorrectly equated with each other, particularly where matters of theology are concerned.  Since a right understanding of commitment and belief is vital for a rationalistic epistemology, the consequences for misidentifying one or the other are severe.  In all things, verification and consistency are necessary prerequisites for knowledge of a worldview's veracity, and one cannot hold to an unsound foundation for theology and be a rational person simultaneously.  Christians and non-Christians alike generally mistake faith for some sort of epistemic necessity on some level while also claiming that the Bible requires belief in at least several unproven ideas.  However, there is no faith required to have a sound epistemology, though this leads to some highly nuanced positions.

One such nuance is that Yahweh might not be the actual uncaused cause, though there is great evidence supporting the idea that he is.  I believe that it seems likely that Yahweh is the uncaused cause, due to a variety of evidences, without believing that the two are certainly identical.  According to some, I cannot even legitimately call myself a Christian without, in effect, presupposing that Christianity is true.  I am committed to living out Christian values because Christianity is evidentially fortified, but this does not mean that it is impossible for many aspects of Christianity to ultimately be false, and this does not mean that my commitment to Christianity would not vanish if Christianity was falsified.

Allow me to use an analogous example: I am committed to my relationship with my closest friend, Gabi, but I do not actually believe that she exists, given the non sequitur fallacies involved in doing so.  My senses and memories cannot prove that she exists as a distinct being.  However, there is significant sensory and memory evidence in favor of her existence, and thus I act as if she exists, despite neither believing nor knowing if this is the case.  Faithfulness to a person, whether in the sense of a friendship, work relationship, or romantic/sexual relationship, does not entail believing that the person to whom one is faithful necessarily exists.  It only entails a commitment to that person.  Sound commitment does not require belief in anything more than that there is evidence for a conclusion.

Suppose that a person is forced to choose between two courses of action, with standard epistemic limitations preventing them from knowing the outcome of either choice.  As long as the person does not believe that he or she knows the outcome without proof, no faith has been exercised.  It is entirely possible, contrary to the claims of the ignorant, to live and formulate a verifiable worldview without the presence of any faith.  By faith I am referring to belief in an unproven thing [1], not to commitment; I use the words distinctly in my everyday life to help others avoid conceptual confusion.  The Bible's own use of the word "faith" is completely consistent with the rationalistic form of commitment--it has nothing to do with belief in the unproven, and therefore nothing to do with either secular or evangelical understanding of the word.  There is no need to use the word faith when referring to commitment despite this, as what matters is conceptual accuracy.  After all, language is inherently arbitrary, so there is no intrinsic conceptual meaning attached to any word at all.  It is the interaction between the laws of logic and concepts that is of high priority, not necessarily the use of certain words.

Commitment is the meaning of the Greek word the Bible uses for faith; thus, the idea that God expects people to believe in unproven claims is nonsense--there might be a great deal of historical evidence for Christianity, and some portions of it are true by necessity [2], but evidence can never prove anything more than that evidence exists.  Just as no amount of scientific testing can prove that neurons exist and just as no number of vivid memories can prove that particular past events occurred, no amount of independent historical references to Jesus can prove that Jesus existed, because history, like science, is only an approximation of fallible evidences at best.  I do not believe that my memories of events actually correspond to real events, because I cannot verify this.  What I do believe is that my memories exist, that the past has existed for at least a moment, and that there is no evidence that my memories are false, for I can prove these facts to myself.  My stance towards the existence and identity of Jesus is perfectly analogous.

If the Biblical God demanded that humans believe in things that cannot be completely verified, then he would be demanding irrationality of us.  Belief in an unproven thing, no matter how much evidence seems to support it, is inherently irrational: it can never be rational to believe something that logic cannot establish in full.  If the Bible did prescribe faith in the sense of believing in something short of absolute logical proof, the Bible would be in error, not rationalism.  There is an inherent contradiction in defining faith (as in faithfulness) as anything other than mere situational commitment based on available evidence and then treating it as consistent with rationality.  Faithfulness is not about belief.  It is about commitment.  Only a belief that can be logically proven is justified; all contrary claims are, to varying degrees, fallacious assumptions.


[1].  While there are degrees of what most people mean by the word faith, even many prominent Christian apologists, arguing from fallacious and assumed grounds, admit that their definition of faith involves belief in unproven premises and conclusions.

[2].  https://thechristianrationalist.blogspot.com/2018/01christianity-and-skepticism.html

8 comments:

  1. I liked your analogy for this a lot! It was a lot easier to understand. I wanted to ask though (even though I think I may have asked this before and I'm pretty certain I know the answer.) Do you believe in Jesus? In the New Testament, He says whosoever believes on Him will have eternal life. You believe that that only entails commitment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am committed to living out the commands of Jesus because there is significant evidence that he existed and that he resurrected. Do I actually believe that he existed or resurrected? No, because I can't prove the existence of any other minds (I can only prove the existence of a few other things besides my own mind, as well as certain miscellaneous facts about those things). I believe that there is strong evidence for his existence and divinity (not that he is Yahweh; the two would still be distinct divine beings), and, since there is no evidence to the contrary, I thus live as if Christianity is true. If believing in Jesus entails anything more than commitment, then I would not believe in him, because doing so would be irrational unless my epistemic limitations vanished. However, faithfulness is just commitment, and faithfulness is what the Bible demands.

      Delete
  2. How do you explain trust though? The Bible talks many times about trusting God. Do you believe that is also just commitment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust would be related to faithfulness/commitment. If someone asked me if I "trust," say, Gabi or God, the answer is no if they are referring to a belief that either will carry out a particular course of action. After all, I don't even know if Gabi exists outside of my memories and sensory perceptions, much less what she plans on doing. While there IS an uncaused cause, I don't actually know if I am the uncaused cause or if it is something else. If the questioner is instead asking if I am willing to act in certain ways because of seeming probabilities, then the answer is yes. Nevertheless, in being willing to do this, I am not actually believing in something that I cannot prove. It's a far more nuanced lifestyle and worldview than many philosophers and Christian apologists will (likely) ever understand, but it's the only legitimate stance I could hold.

      Delete
    2. Hmm,okay. I think I understand your relationship with God a little better, especially with the part about living your life a certain way because of your commitment. I have another question though. Does God give you confidence with your commitment? Like do you fear less because of Him?

      Delete
    3. Are you asking if I feel more confident because I'm a Christian or if God literally, directly gives me a sense of confidence? There is no immediate correlation between me being a Christian and me not experiencing existential fears (and I wouldn't be able to prove that any confidence I have originates from God). In fact, the most fearful part of my life was not avoided because I am a Christian or because I know that God exists. However, knowing that there is an uncaused cause and that there is significant evidence that Yahweh is that uncaused cause does grant me a deep satisfaction.

      Delete
  3. So I think I found a couple verses that seemed relevant to the topic of faith as commitment! What brought into mind was John 20:29, where Jesus says to Thomas who originally was skeptical about his resurrection: "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

    Cross reference this with 1 Peter 1:8 - "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy."

    Would you say these are compatible with how you're explaining your commitment to Christ in this post? Or maybe you have a different approach to those verses? Either way, just wanted to hear your rationale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking about John 20:29 recently! Many readers assume that Jesus is, at the very least, declaring that belief in something true but unproven has a high moral status when he calls those who believe without seeing "blessed." However, Jesus is contrasting Thomas literally seeing him with other people not seeing him with their eyes.

      I (at least as far as my memory and senses indicate) have never seen Jesus at all, so I can use myself as an example. My commitment to Christianity, just like the commitment of anyone else who hasn't actually seen Jesus, is special in a way that it would not otherwise be. Likewise, the commitment of someone who did actually see Jesus would possess its own uniqueness.

      1 Peter 1:8 notes that those Peter wrote to loved Jesus despite not seeing him, which makes it very comparable to John 20:29. They're great verses to look at together! Neither verse prescribes anything contrary to strict rationalism, though many people fail to challenge the mass consensus on such verses.

      Delete