Wednesday, August 2, 2017

An Eternal Future

I have written multiple times about the finite nature of the past, but until now I had not explained the relationship of this truth to the possibility of an eternal future.  I will again summarize why an infinite past is impossible before focusing my attention on the future.

An infinite past means a past without a beginning.  I have proven this to be impossible in actuality several times before, but I will do so one more time.  If there were an infinite number of moments in the past, the present could never arrive.  If an infinite number of things have to occur before I can wake up tomorrow morning, I will never be able to wake up.  If I have to count down from an infinite series of numbers before reaching the number five, I will never actually get to that number.  It is inescapably impossible for there to be an infinite number of past events, moments in time, and cause and effect relationships.

It is only impossible for there to be an infinite number of moments in the past, not for there to be an infinite number of moments in the future.  As I said already, it is impossible for the present moment of time to be reached if the past contained an infinite number of moments of time, for there would always be an infinity of moments before this present moment and thus it could never occur, and anyone who denies that the present exists rejects a necessary truth that is self-evident and self-verifying and cannot be false.  But it remains entirely possible for there to be an infinite future.  Nothing logically necessitates that the future have an end in the way that the past must have a beginning.

The future may stretch on and never reach a finite ending point.  Does this threaten the Christian position on the nature of time?  While the Bible clearly says that time had a beginning (Genesis 1:1, 2 Timothy 1:9, Titus 1:2), I do not see anything in it which indubitably teaches that time will have a definitive end.  It is possible that there is a verse which I do not recall that contradicts the latter part of this claim.  Time itself will not necessarily vanish according to the Christian worldview, although it will certainly not affect the redeemed in the afterlife in the same manner which it did during their terrestrial existence before.

I hope that these conclusions do indeed represent the Bible accurately, and I am willing to accept any legitimate correction if I come across a passage of Scripture that does actually demonstrate that the Bible says the future is finite as is the past.  I refrain from speculating about the possible nature of time in the Christian afterlife here out of a desire to avoid making claims which I cannot prove or reinforce with Biblical evidence at the present time.  Still, the objective, logically-provable fact that the past cannot be infinite concurs with the very first verse of the Bible.  Not everything that the Bible says about time is obscure or not externally verifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment