Friday, September 2, 2016

An Unapplied Truth

Tonight I came across a short essay from April of last semester on Augustine's City of God, and I believe I need to personally apply my points to my life better, as even though I can defend them beautifully I do not always live as if they are true.  Here is the essay below.


"City of God Reflection Essay
 

What does it mean that God expects us to be both intellectually and emotionally responsible in how we formulate a coherent and verifiable worldview?  More specifically, in this essay I want to consider how our God-given rationality and emotions can coexist.  This question is one that is very important to me personally, for while I am someone who possesses deep feelings I greatly prefer to focus on facts to the exclusion of emotion when making decisions.  I would rather think about a statement like '. . . those who say this wish to suggest that the world is eternal and without any beginning . . . rave in the deadly madness of ungodliness' (452-453) than think about how I should love God with all of my heart.

A crucial part of intellectual responsibility that can be neglected by theistic rationalists is the role of emotions in human life.  The fact that we are emotional and relational creatures testifies to the reality that our Creator is also an emotional and relational being, for properties like emotionality cannot emerge from non-emotion.  Rationalists deal in facts, and it is a fact that we are emotional beings by nature.  I, as a rationalistic person, have made the mistake at various points in my life of ignoring my emotional side due to the possibility of potential interference with my reason.  It is undeniable that feelings can drastically distort our rational comprehension.  They can create a desire for something to be true or real that isn’t, can erupt and subside rather quickly and unpredictably, and can create an emotional attachment to something we know is false.  Augustine supplies an example of how emotions can arise so spontaneously: '. . . we sometimes weep even when we do not wish to do so' (599).  The dilemma becomes apparent.  Reason leads to God; God created us to be emotional creatures; emotions often hinder most people from objectively pursuing or understanding truth.  But is this an inescapable dilemma?

God does not demand that our reason and our feelings nullify each other and cancel each other out.  Augustine articulated this quite well.  'Yet if we felt no such emotions at all while subject to the infirmity of this life, we should then certainly not be living righteously.  For the apostle condemned and denounced certain persons who, he said, were "without natural affection"' (599-600).  God imbued us with both reason and feelings.  Neither one must lead to abandonment of the other, as both reveal the glorious nature of the one who fashioned them.
 

Work Cited

Saint Augustine.  The City of God against the Pagans.  Trans.  Dyson, R.W.  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998.  Print."

No comments:

Post a Comment